Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A personal story

Accreditation, Licensure, Certification, Pedorthists, Orthotists, Prosthetists,
Competitive Bidding, CMS, DMEPOS, HIPAA, ABC, BOC, PFA, KPFA.....
Whoooa! What is the acronym for Whooa! Stop! Wait a Minute!
I'm scratching my head, but I think I am catching up......! What am I
doing? I'm not a politician. I'm not a teacher! I'm not a secretary! I'm
not a treasurer! I'm not a lawmaker, judge or jury.... What am I doing here?
I am a Certified Pedorthist in the state of Kentucky.
Why am I involved in all of these other professions?
Because I believe in helping my patients and providing the best care possible.
To create and continue that trust and confidence that my patients have in
me and where I work, I must stand up for what is right in our state legislation.
I must teach and present to the patient with diabetes, the material
needed on how to properly care for their feet. I must teach other clients how
to comply with proper support in footwear ranging from custom orthotics to
therapeutic shoes. I must interact with other C.Peds in KY to stay on top of
pedorthic education in order to provide the best patient care and to expect the
best patient outcomes.
What better way to keep in touch than to take Minutes at each KPFA
meeting and communicate any necessary information to all other Kentucky credentialed pedorthists!!
Sometimes these meetings involve discussion of happenings in our
Pedorthic worlds. Sometimes we meet and experience heartfelt, genuine discussions
regarding the future of Pedorthics in this state.
When a client has come to you and you do the best you can and they come
back in 2 weeks for that follow-up appointment and say Thank You, you
know it's all worthwhile.
So, why do you do what you do??

Cindy Mattingly Cped/BOCpedorthist
Shoe Stop Clinic
Owensboro KY

No comments: